What is Grow Roots?
We are a QTBIPOC centered food justice collaboration between Finca Morada, Plant Philosophy, Miami Compost & Urban Oasis Project. Other orgs we work with are: Miami Seed Share, Overtown Green Haven Community Garden, Urban Green Works & Little River Cooperative. We are urban farmers, community leaders, healers & activists, who have set out, to build accessible food producing gardens, for Miami families. Grow Roots Miami is committed to families in need, living in “food deserts,” most harmed by Covid-19, and by systemic racial injustice, such as Black, Indigenous, people of color, queer, trans, elders, survivors of incarceration, & people with disabilities.
Those of us involved in this project have been working in food justice work for many years. Since 2020, we have been working harder than ever, responding to the needs in our Miami community, that the pandemic made dramatically more severe. We’ve been in full force, with our community gardens, compost projects, food distributions, and most importantly, connecting folks to healthy local food. We know first hand, that food justice is racial justice. With our Grow Roots initiative, we are growing solutions from the root of where these injustices hit home. Malcolm X said “Revolution is based on land.” We believe that growing our own food & medicine, as individuals, families, and communities reconnects us to land and is the healthiest and safest option possible. Growing our own food most importantly, fulfills a severe need for access to fresh healthy food in low income communities, who experience what Karen Washington calls “Food Apartheid.” As a dynamically potent action and solution, we have also experienced that growing our own food is joyful, empowering, trauma healing, educational for our youth, beneficial for our environment, strengthens sovereignty & resilience and connects us to nature, our cultural & ancestral roots and to each other within our communities.
DONATE TO SUPPORT FOOD JUSTICE & BUILD FREE GARDENS
What We've Accomplished
In 2021, with community support, GROW ROOTS MIAMI:
- Built 27 free, food producing, home & school gardens for families in need!
- Provided 1 year of education, maintenance & follow up care to ensure gardens are healthy & productive!
- Supported & mentored young Black, POC, queer, trans, & female farmers & growers through our mentorship and internship programs!
- Hosted 30 educational community workshops on sustainability, home growing, rain-barrel collection, composting, herbalism, lunar gardening, native plants and much more!
- Gave away over 400 free plants and trees!
- Made infrastructure improvements to 2 community gardens including an outdoor kitchen, shade structures, and compost toilet!
Local Orgs Who Support Us!
Miami Compost Project
The Overtown Green Haven Community Garden
Miami Girls Rock Camp
Million Trees Miami
Miami Dade County Parks & Rec
Miami Seed Share
Urban Oasis Project
Little River Cooperative